Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Got Crappy At This...

So lots of things have been happening and that's one of the reasons that I haven't updated. School ended, and normally that would have been something to excite me enough to blog about it, but around the same time, the rates for tv and internet went up by a whole bunch. I was not entirely prepared for this but could have handled it. My roommate could not. In hindsight, I just shouldn't have told her, let her continue paying what she had been, and eaten the extra just so that I wouldn't be so damn bored. I just didn't care that much since we would both be moving fairly soon anyway.

Thus, I've been getting my internet fixes by using the various wifi spots around town. Kind of fun and interesting actually...

Anyhow, lots of fun things have happened. My birthday was spent in Charleston. Friday was spent at the beach and Saturday was spent at a beer festival and baseball game. It was great.

Here's the whole group that went. And no, the beer festival was not a bud light festival. Tickets to the beer festival included a ticket to the baseball game immediately following, where their cheap beer was attractive to our drunken minds.

















So you know, that is my friend Liz, the one who works for US Customs in Charleston and whom I had to do an interview for with the Department of Homeland Security. She got the job and is now way closer to me than Africa or Milwaukee, which is wear she was before.

The only major thing that I've done this summer so far is go to New Mexico with the family.

Here are some random pictures from that trip.

Mom and Lita and White Sands.
































Mom eats a hot pepper; Dad laughs.










Dad finds a cowboy sombrero he likes; Mom refuses to let him buy it.

















Other stuff that has happened:

I wrecked my beloved Honda Civic Hybrid. Again. I had to get a rental for a few days, then Mom, Dad, and Zak were kind enough to bring me the jeep. Since Renee is home for the summer, I couldn't keep the jeep indefinitely, and had to get another rental once we got back from NM. My car should be ready by the end of the week, just in time for some craziness to get started.

"Craziness" would be defined as moving. Again. I've lost count of how often I've moved in the last couple of years. They've all been for very good reasons, but it's getting old. On a positive, at this point, I think that I've consolidated my stuff pretty well and that it should be easy except for the big stuff that I accrued when I lived alone. Except for how hard it is to move stuff like that, I feel like I could move at the drop of a dime if I had to. The lease technically starts on Friday, and I will be taking a bunch of stuff on Friday, but will have to wait until next week to start getting the big stuff. Bonus on that: moving small stuff is easy for me because I have 4 of those huge tupperware/storage containers full of school shoes, blankets, etc., so I take them to the apartment, throw the stuff that's in there somewhere out of the way, take the empty storage bins back to the old place, fill them up with other stuff (movies, books, more blankets), and take them back.

On another positive, I have a pool again, and thank goodness! As it turns out, spending my summer reading and doing nothing isn't as much fun if I don't have a pool. At least the second half of my summer will be a little more enjoyable, and probably a little more tan.

Which brings me to an admission of seriously embarrassing proportions. At the end of each school year, or at least for the last 2-3, I have not had cable and have gotten by with my HD digital antenna, which actually works quite well despite only picking up about 6 channels. This of course forces me to watch some crap sometimes. One of those things has become a re-occurring end of year theme; I grade papers and watch the auditions for America's Got Talent. DON'T JUDGE ME. I've never made it through the entire season; I only like watching the auditions. Anyway, for some reason this season has really gotten to me and I think it's because they keep sending CRAP through. Seriously. I won't go into because then you probably will judge me, but the judges have sent through some ridiculous acts and left out some really good ones.

Alright, I think that's it.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE America's Got Talent. I got hooked on it last summer and just can't tear myself away from it. I also do not believe some of the crap they put through, such as the hand whistler and the pair of belly dancers, but we all know why they got through (big boobs!). I think they do it so that there will be some controversy and people will keep watching.
    Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete